Over the past few years, digital marketing has emerged as one of the most exciting and lucrative industries for all ambitious, creative, and analytical individuals. The demand for digital marketing professionals is only going to peak. According to research reports, the global digital marketing advertising industry is expected to reach around $ 786 billion by the end of 2026. So, 2024 has never been a better time for you to take up a career in digital marketing. Here we are talking about What Does A Digital Marketing Manager Do? Job Description, Skills, Salary.
Perhaps you are looking for a digital marketing manager role or considering hiring someone in your department. Either way, it is essential to recognize what digital marketing does and what top skills are needed for this particular role.
In this post, we will cover what a digital marketing manager does, the top skills a digital marketing manager must have, the job description, and how to start your career taking up this role:
We are discussing What Does A Digital Marketing Manager Do? Job Description, Skills, Salary:
What is digital marketing?
Digital marketing encompasses several distinctive disciplines to increase the business’s reach, promote the products/ services, and improve sign-up conversions and overall sales.
Some of the common disciplines that fall in digital marketing include:
- Seo(Search Engine Optimization)
- Ux (User Experience Design)
- Email Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- Content Creation & Strategy
- PPC Advertising
- Digital Advertising
- Data Analytics
It is not limited, and several digital marketing efforts are undertaken to reach the target audience and drive conversions.
What does a digital marketing manager do? Job Description
The main job of the digital marketing manager is to plan the online marketing campaigns and ensure that everything runs smoothly from start to end. As a digital marketing manager, you will often lead the team.
In B2B-focused businesses, a digital marketing manager is a key point of contact with the client. So this entails that they must demonstrate leadership and people skills, which is vital for this role.
Based on the business size, the professional will perform the online marketing task independently. Also, to focus on planning and strategy building while delegating the tasks for execution to the team. For example, digital marketing managers craft content marketing strategies and editorial calendars, assigning the task of crafting content to the dedicated writer and editor.
Some other areas of focus are management of the company’s website, social media channels, data analytics, taking the most appropriate measures to drive traffic to the website, and planning activities for devising new marketing campaigns.
Digital Marketing Manager job description
Now, you must know what a digital marketing manager does.
Let’s have a look at one of the examples of a job description posted by a remote company in the United States, “PagerDuty”:
PagerDuty is a cloud computing organization from the United States. Let’s have a look at their description of the ideal candidate for the role of the digital marketing manager:
Digital Marketing Manager job description by “PagerDuty”
- Working with our digital marketing company on the imagination of the campaign, devising creative strategy, targeting, segmenting, budgeting all across SEM, displaying and social advertising channels
- Analyzing and reporting on digital marketing, advertising, and website metrics for increasing leads and conversions.
- I assist in managing Google Analytics tactically and strategically to understand our company’s digital experience across websites and digital advertising channels.
- Managing the website’s CMS activities, for example, creating page/ layout, maintenance of the website, On-Page SEO, and providing recommendations for user experience updates.
- Supporting this SEO strategy task cross-functionally with the content creators for defining the content, conducting on-site & Keyword Optimization strategies for accelerating Runbook automation awareness.
Requisite skills & experience
- 5 + years of experience in B2B inbound marketing
- Expertise in utilizing CMS platforms and providing marketing automation solutions
- Experience in creating, launching, and reporting campaigns.
- The capability of multitasking, privatizing issues/ escalations, and managing several projects simultaneously
- Basic knowledge of SEO, inbound/ content marketing, and management of the website, along with other digital advertising mediums
- Having looked at the job description of digital marketing manager above, let’s find out the requirements and skills needed to take up this profession.
Requirements to become the digital marketing manager
- A bachelor’s degree in marketing or any other relevant field
- A minimum of 5 years of experience working in digital marketing or advertising industry
- Knowledge about several different digital media platforms, best practices as well as website Analytics
- Creative individual with excellent analytical capabilities
- Outstanding communication as well as interpersonal skills
- Updated on all the latest trends, methodologies, and technologies in the field of digital marketing
Salary of digital marketing manager
On average, digital marketing earns around $123000 a year, per the job posting site Glassdoor. A digital marketing manager’s salary depends upon several factors, such as the candidate’s education level, years of experience, size of the company, and geographical location.
Guide on how to become a digital marketing manager?
After knowing what a digital marketing manager does, Find the things interesting if you are ready to leap in your career with this position. Let’s have a look at what steps can be taken to launch your career as a digital marketing manager:
- Enrolling for a course
Whether you are a newcomer or want to work as a seasoned expert, you can opt for the online course covering the topics of digital marketing. This will keep you up-to-date with all the latest and ever-transforming trends and practices in digital marketing.
- Learning all tools
There is no shortage of online marketing tools today to help the digital marketing manager succeed. So, from learning about the content management system and SEO tools to email marketing techniques and understanding Google algorithms and data analytics, the digital marketing manager needs to be familiar with all the platforms, and this will provide them a competitive edge.
- Acquiring soft skills
While taking on managerial/ leadership positions, soft skills are crucial in becoming the digital marketing manager who wants to successfully lead the team. So, the digital marketing manager should have excellent communication skills, creativity, analytical abilities, interpersonal skills, and an understanding of consumer behavior, along with effectively collaborating with others.
- Building a portfolio
A solid portfolio is a very effective way to advance in your career. It is important to demonstrate what projects you have undertaken previously which can set you apart from your competitors.
- Working on relevant digital marketing projects
Whether or not you are working on your management career track, working on some appropriate projects is vital. For example, if you specialize in digital advertising, try to understand the projects that demonstrate your learning about social media channels.
Networking is a crucial part of any career development. Sometimes, you can land job opportunities through word of mouth by joining networking events. Try connecting with your peers through industry events, craft a strong online presence, and engage with mentors who can introduce you to others in their extensive network.
- Keep up with the latest marketing trends.
- Digital marketing is an evolving arena. So, acquiring new skills and staying updated with current and existing marketing trends is important.
- Seek certification
Seeking certifications, for example, the Google Analytics IQ certificate and HootSuite Social Marketing Certification, are crucial to landing your role as a digital marketing manager. Completing the digital marketing course will also signal to your recruiter that you are eager to learn always and committed to your professional development.
Is a career as a digital marketing manager a good choice?
A career as a digital marketing manager is great for any individual who is thriving on creativity, strategic thinking, organization, and analytical ability. Also, it can put a digital marketing manager on the path to success for someone who enjoys great communication and collaboration with clients and the creative.
Through the availability of an abundance of entry-level opportunities, digital marketing provides several distinct specialties that can be paired up with the capabilities of individuals. Most importantly, there is plenty of room for growth in your career!
Whenever it comes to providing top-notch digital marketing solutions, Growthx247 is taking the crown. Being a powerhouse of talent, the company specializes in providing exceptional SEO, SMO, website designing, development, and marketing research for elevating businesses’ online presence. The company possesses a team of very talented and expert creatives who do not leave any stone unturned to achieve results that surpass client expectations.
Contact the fastest-growing digital marketing agency that fits your expectations and budget today!